Tuesday, November 21, 2017
Text Size
image image image image image image image image image image
Vietnam Veterans Veteran's Room is a tribute to all Chariton County veterans for their service to our country. It begins with a list of Mexican War veterans and concludes with Desert Storm.
Hoop Skirt Chair This Hoop Skirt Chair is from the Victorian era and provided space for a ladies wide hoop skirt at the side of the chair.
Linotype Linotype machine was invented in Germany by a watch maker. It increased the producitivy of printing by allowing a line at a time to be printed instead of individual letters. This machine was used by John Y. Stewart in Brunswick from 1936 to 1993.
John Deere 'D' John Deere 'D' tractor was purchased new by Marvin A. Rice in 1935 for $1200.
Henry Jacobs' Brick Bold The Miracle Brick Mold was used by Henry Gooch in Salisbury in the early 1900's. He had a brick making plant on the Wabash Railroad right-of-way just west of the overhead bridge.
General Store A General Store was found in every town and stocked dry goods, textiles, tobacco, guns and pretty much anything else a person would need. A Post Office was also a part of a general store.
Dodge Fire Truck Dodge fire truck used in Salisbury from 1934 - 1956. It holds just a 150 gallon water tank.
Covered Wagon Covered wagon was driven by 16 year old Henry Speiser for the George Friesz family when they moved from Illinois to Chariton County in 1877.
Beauty Parlor Beauty parlor that includes items from the 1940's.
Barber Shop Replica of the early to mid 1900's including shaving mugs, mustache cups, straight blade razors
ContactUs

Contact Us:

660-388-5941

115 E 2nd St
Salisbury, MO  65281 

Email Correspondence:

CONTACT US

Like Us on Facebook!

FB

19 November 2013

Email

County Poor Farm
The CCHS Museum houses the slaughter axe and kettle used for rendering lard at butchering times at the Infirmary. It was quite fancy for a "poor farm" as you can see in the picture.

The first County poor farm was located four miles west of Keytesville and 2 1/2 miles northwest of Dalton in section 11-53-19. It contained 180 acres of rich bottom land and "hill" land.The cost of the land and the original building erected in 1868 was about $35,000. The main building was a long structure with six rooms on each side divided by a long hall and with a large room on each end. A heating stove located at each end of the building provided heat. Other out buildings made up the "poor farm."

One person was hired to help with the farming, and the inmates, as they were then called, did their own cooking, cleaning and washing. The farm was never overpopulated and when a person died they were buried on the grounds without a service and with only other inmates present. The farm was well-stocked and highly improved with all operating expenses paid for by the county which received all revenues from the sale of products and stock from the farm. In 1896, the superintendent, F.M. Davenport, was responsible for providing for the care and treatment of the poor, mentally ill, and disabled of Chariton County.

The location of the second Chariton County Infirmary built in 1915 was located about 2 1/2 miles east of Keytesville. It consisted of a large brick building, the residence of the Superintendent, a large barn and numerous well-kept farm buildings. There were one hundred twenty acres of fine farm land, extending from the old Chariton River, south and west. The purchase of this land by the county was made in 1912. The superintendent from 1916-1933 was John Rogers who was a most efficient manager and who employed the most up-to-date methods of farming.

The County continued to control operations of the Infirmary which was later known as the Keytesville Rest Home when operated from 1950-November 1967 by Jasper and Mildred Tillotson Coy. In June 1971, the County signed the deed over to Mildred and her son, Dr. Tom Coy, and the business became known as the Coy Rest Home.

The two story brick building changed hands several times oftentimes setting vacant. In 1997 an attempt at a B&B was made. The old brick building is in decay now with windows broken and the yard overgrown. Just to the south of it is the Chariton County Sheltered Workshop which sets on a donated acre of land. The metal building housing the Thrift Shop, work space and office was completed in February 1980, with the warehouse and dock being built in 1982. The Workshop is governed by a nine-member board. The Chariton County Infirmary Cemetery lies about a 1/4 mile to the east of the Workshop and is visible from Highway 24 when the foliage is off the trees.  The graves are marked by small concrete pillars with engraved crosses.

 

(Sources:  History of Dalton, Missouri and Bowling Green Township 1867-1987;  Historical, Pictorical, Biographical History of Chariton County, 1896; Chariton Courier Centennial Edition, June 30, 1933)

Donations Welcome!

We are a non-profit 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization.  The operation of the museum, and continued collection and preservation of the historic artifacts relies upon membership dues, financial gifts, fund-raisers, bookstore sales, and grants.  All donations are tax deductible, and are greatly appreciated.  Click below to donate.

Donations may be sent to Chariton County Historical Society at 115 E Second St., Salisbury, MO 65281. We appreciate your support of the Chariton County Historical Society & Museum.