The Historical Society was founded in 1956 by a group of people with a strong interest in preserving the heritage and history of Chariton County. The first county museum opened in the 1960’s in the Lincoln School–a former Negro school, and now Peace Lutheran Church in Salisbury.
The increasing number of artifacts collected soon out-grew that space, and the present museum building–the former Fellow’s Hatchery, became available in 1971. After considerable renovation the present museum opened to the public in the late 1970’s. The present museum location has had a varied and glorious past that goes back to before the turn of the 20th century.
The museum actually encompasses four adjoining buildings all built prior to 1893. Below is a look at the history of each of the four buildings uses.
|Library & Veterans Room||Storage Building (16')||Millinery & Grocery Store||Warehouse||Laundry Ironing & Dry Clean with wash room behind
|Little Dixie Room||Blacksmith Shop (15')||Blacksmith Shop & Wagon Shop||Produce||Produce
|Hutchinson Tool Room||Carriage Repository (15')||Harness Shop||Produce||Produce
|Main Street Room||Grocery Store with IOOF hall in upstairs||Dry Goods & Grocery store with IOOF hall in upstairs||Vacant with IOOF hall in upstairs||New & 2nd Hand Furniture with IOOF hall in upstairs