Resources – Jordan R. Bentley Genealogy Library
The following resources are available in the Jordan R. Bentley Genealogy Library at the Chariton County Historical Society. These records are available to the public for independent research. Copies of any records are available for a nominal fee. CCHS offers custom research for a small fee. Contact us if you are interested.
Click any of the buttons below to jump to a section.
- Index of deaths from 1883-1887 (actual records can be found in the Chariton County Clerk’s office)
- Some copies of death certificates from 1910 – 1960s (records were found in the basement of the former Berry Funeral Home in Salisbury)
- Cemetery transcriptions from the 1980s courtesy of Robert and May Couch
- Records from the following funeral homes: McLaughlin, Heisel, Carr, Garnett-Hyde, Winkelmeyer, Berry
- Obituaries – some from late 1800s to current
- Funeral cards
- Photographs of several county cemeteries (a work in progress)
- Specific cemetery records from:
- Elliot Grove Cemetery – courtesy of Bob Magruder
- Brunswick City Cemetery – courtesy of Bob Magruder
- McCullough Cemetery – courtesy of McCullough Cemetery Association
- Winn Cemetery – courtesy of George Wynne
Click here to view an index of death records available in the genealogy library.
The following county newspapers are available on microfilm:
|Brunswick (various titles)||1847 - December 1983 (except for 1978)
|Salisbury (various titles)||1857 - December 1982
|Keytesville (various titles)||1872 - July 1995
|Misc. County Newspapers||Various Dates
Many family histories and miscellaneous information have been donated to the genealogy library over the years. Some are detailed and some information is just a few pages. Please consider donating a copy of your family history, whether complete or not, as they are great sources of information for other researchers.
Click here to view an index of family histories available in the genealogy library.